Saturday, July 28, 2012

July 28, 2012

In this post I have included quotes from Reformation-era martyrs and reformers: Martin Luther; John Calvin; Anne Askew, martyred in 1546; Menno Simons; and John Bland, martyred in 1555. Try to guess who said what. If you would rather cut to the chase, the answers are below.


      1.       “I believe all those Scriptures to be true which He hath confirmed with His most precious blood. Yea, and, as St. Paul sayeth, those Scriptures are sufficient for our learning and salvation that Christ hath left here with us; so that I believe we need no unwritten verities with which to rule His Church.”

2.       “God writes the Gospel not in the Bible alone, but also on trees, and in the flowers and clouds and stars.”

3.       “True evangelical faith cannot lie dormant. It clothes the naked, it feeds the hungry, it comforts the sorrowful, it shelters the destitute, it serves those that harm it, it binds up that which is wounded, it has become all things to all people.”

4.       “However many blessings we expect from God, His infinite liberality will always exceed all our wishes and our thoughts.”

5.       “Accept this burnt offering and sacrifice, O Lord, not for the sacrifice itself, but for thy dear Son’s sake my Savior: for whose testimony I offer this free will offering with all my heart and with all my soul. O heavenly Father, forgive me my sins, as I forgive the whole world. O sweet Savior, spread thy wings over me. O God, grant me thy Holy Ghost, through whose merciful inspiration I am come hither. Conduct me unto everlasting life. Lord into thy hands I commend my spirit: Lord Jesus receive my soul. So be it.”










Answers

1.       Anne Askew
2.       Martin Luther
3.       Menno Simons
4.       John Calvin
5.       John Bland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog