Friday, July 6, 2012

July 06, 2012

The French Huguenots were not the only Reformation descendants well-accustomed to martyrdom and suffering. The Anabaptists were also known for their trials, and as a result, they published striking hymns full of emotion and glory. I had the pleasure of listening to a few of these hymns on Youtube and of studying the circumstances under which they were written and sung. The following song, called “O God, Do Thou Sustain Me,” was written by a man named Leonhart Sommer. He himself died a martyr in 1573.


O God, Do Thou Sustain Me
Leonhart Sommer

O God, do Thou sustain me
In grief and sore duress
Pride counter which disdains Thee
And comfort my distress.

O Lord let me find mercy
In bonds and prison bed
Men would seek to devour me
With guile and controversy
Save me from danger dread!

Thou wilt never forsake me
This firmly I believe
Thy blood Thou has shed freely
And with it washed me.

Therein my trust is resting
In Christ, God’s only Son
On Him I am now building
In tribulation trusting
God will me not disown!

To die and to be living
Until my end I see
To Thee my trust I’m giving
Thou wilt my helper be.

Soul, body, child, companion
Herewith commit I thee
Come soon, Lord, come and take me
From ruthless men do save me
Be honor ever to Thee.


If you have the chance to listen to the video (the song is sung by a family named the Overholts) I hope you as are touched by the song and its words as I was.


(c) 2012 Joyously Saved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog