Sunday, April 1, 2012

April 01, 2012

My Florida Protestant pilgrimage has drawn to a close. Fort Caroline, though disappointing due to the closure of the fort exhibit itself, was heartening in many other ways. The site of the Matanzas massacre was appropriately silent and respectful. Yet, though I have finished honoring those who chose pure, steadfast faith over life and the follies of the world, I will never forget what I have seen and done. Somewhere in my heart I will always carry the invisible image of dark-haired Frenchmen with tortured eyes. Some young. Some old. All with a name, a life, and a story cut short far too soon and for no good reason. Perhaps it is as if I have "adopted" the martyrs of Matanzas.


I will guard their memory well.


(c) 2012 Joyously Saved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog